What went well?
- Heard Alex Crompton on the Perpetual Chess Podcast talking about his tactics study plan, which I am trying.
- Read the book Atomic Habits. It is a good book, but not really what I needed for Chess study. I already have some habits, I just need to be sure I am studing the right thing. I think I need to find a book on “learning how to learn” next.
- I analyzed all my games this week, even all my blitz games. This is a habit I need to keep doing.
What could have gone better?
- I only won 1 rapid game and lost 6 this week. Mostly due to blundering pieces. I am hopeful that my tactics work will help out, though I am worried that I am working hard on speed in tactics and that may be making me play too fast. That said, I did win 3 of 4 blitz games, but part of that is that I am under 600 in blitz.
What will I try next?
- I need to find some time for some training games. Games where I can take my time and take the game seriously. I feel like the past couple of weeks I have just been going through the motions of playing games and not taking them very seriously. There is a balance here, between just playing for fun and playing as part of my study plan.
- The next book I’m going to read is about “learning how to learn how to play chess.” More about “learning how to learn a new skill.” I am going to start with The Science of Self-Learning and see if I can come up with a personal study plan. Or append my current study plan if needed.
Tweet of the Week
Drinking a White Russian tonight in honor of Nepo. He may not have won, and yes he “blundered” a few pieces, but he’s still a way better #chess player than pretty much everyone else. #CarlsenNepo— Matt (@MattPlaysChess) December 10, 2021