What went well?
- I started reading Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. It is making me rethink my motivation for studying chess, which is good.
- I found that in April I was winning 52% as white and only 33% as black (tweet). But this is all part of my learning experience for new openings. I’m getting more comfortable with my new white openings, and just started working on black. I am treating this as a good growth opportunity. My rapid rating has dropped quite a bit, but it will come back.
- Speaking of openings, I got a little further than expected on my study of my black openings this week. I still have a way to go in Chessable to understand these openings, but I have at least documented the ideas for myself.
- I started analyzing my games on a more regular basis again.
What could have gone better?
- I added the Chessable personalized tactics from my Chess.com games (link[https://www.chessable.com/#lichess-connect]). This was good because many of the tactics show that I am just missing hanging pieces.
What will I try next?
- I am going to play some OTB games at the chess club tonight
- I am thinking of playing some faster time controls just to practice my openings. My thought is that I would slowly build up additions to my openings, adding one new move at a time.
Tweet of the Week
I’m just happy that I was able to figure out how to make a custom theme for Chessbase.
I was playing around with a custom theme for my board in Chessbase. This is what I came up with. Thoughts?— Matt (@MattPlaysChess) April 20, 2022
If you want to try this, I uploaded the files here: https://t.co/ApWPXf00Xj pic.twitter.com/Q9uL1ajblY